POSSUM KINGDOM LAKE ASSOCIATION FEBRUARY 2013
P. O. Box 492, Graford, Texas 76449 www.pklakeassn.org
In January 2013 PKLA directors traveled to Austin and met with water experts regarding BRA’s TCEQ application for additional water. Information was shared with PKLA directors at their February meeting. Directors voted to hire experts for analyzing material presented in BRA’s Water Management Plan. Any information PKLA secures will be provided to appropriate parties for evaluation.
- January 2012-TCEQ required BRA to develop Water Management Plan
- October 26, 2012 directors from the PK Water Supply Corporation, PK Chamber of Commerce and PK Lake Association met with Austin Lawyer Mark Zeppa in an effort to better understand TCEQ application process.
- November 26,2012- Deadline for BRA to submit Plan
- 7months- TCEQ staff will complete review of Plan and “renotice” the application back to Administrative Judges
- 30 days-after” renoticing”- The Judges will review the Plan and prepare of hearings
- 6 months- Judges will conduct hearings
- 2014-TCEQ commissioners will hold hearings and reconsider BRA application
PKLA directors are making every effort explore the TCEQ process and advise membership on appropriate action. Possible talking points for members that want to visit with their Legislators:
- BRA’s application is the largest request for water in Texas history
- TCEQ has never approved this large an application
- BRA has not shown a need for the additional revenue the request will generate
- BRA Budget in millions and there is no sunset review by legislation
- BRA is setting precedent for other Water Authorities
BRA Board Meeting Report
The following reports were heard at the BRA’s Board meeting held Monday, January 28, 2013 in Waco.
- The BRA Board passed an agenda item to include Costello Island and set the requirements for the sale of the remaining commercial and residential leased properties at the Lake. PKLA is involved in the process of writing a Bill that will allow the sale of the remaining land.
- Matt Phillips reported 46 new House Representatives and 5 new Senate members. Important topics for this session will be budget surplus in a healthy rainy day fund (RDF), and school finance, security and vouchers.
- Water remains a major topic for this session. Will legislators use $2 billion for a water plan or pass legislation for a water tax or fee? A water master may be hired to enforce water usage priority policies. Dow Chemical has Senior water right on the Brazos.
- Currently 932 bills have been filed Last day to file a Bill is March 8, 2013.
- Troy Glasson reported work at the dam was nearing completion and on track with timelines for completion in Spring 2013. The conduit was tested on November 14, 2012. Electrical work and painting and repair in the powerhouse were complete. One problem staff is currently working on is the corrosion (rust) that appeared on the ring jet valve on the conduit. Manufacturer is looking into the cause. High salinity levels or small pebbles going through at a high velocity might cause pitting in the stainless. BRA will have a 2 year warranty on valve work. The problem that could develop is that work is not completed in time for BRA to surrender their FERC license by Spring 2013.
- Mike McClendon reported PVC pipe was needed in the dam to replace deteriorating galvanized pipes. Money for this project will come from a boat load study project that will not be conducted this summer because of current drought conditions.
Legislation Required for Sale of Remaining Property
BRA and PKLA will work with the 2013 Legislature on a Bill that would allow the sale of the remaining residential and commercial property at PK. Senator Estes and Representative Keffer’s staff will be writing a Bill that will mirror HB 3031. BRA directors voted to include remaining acreage on Costello Island in the sale. Costello Island owners promised to place the undeveloped acreage under a Nature’s Conservancy easement. At this writing no Bill has been filed.
DATES March 2nd– Mardi Gras Parade 3pm & Shrimp Fest 6pm
April 29, 2013 BRA Board Meeting Waco
June 8, 2013 Annual Meeting PKLA 10 am at the Chamber