POSSUM KINGDOM LAKE ASSOCIATION NOVEMBER 2014
P. O. Box 492, Graford, Texas 76449 www.pklakeassn.org
“Let’s Talk Water” We need you! Membership: 1085
In August 2013, Possum Kingdom Lake Association invited membership to attend a meeting regarding efforts to stop BRA’s permit request for historical amount of water. Membership involvement and financial support was critical to protect our lake from the BRA’s unprecedented request to sell water. As the legal process continues, your financial support of PKLA’seffort continues to be necessary. PKLA has hired a team of experts that include attorney, hydrologist and TCEQ consultants to lead the PK Lake effort and work for YOU. As your Holiday lists are made, please include the PK Lake Association.
PLEASE mail donations to the post office address listed at the top of the page.
TCEQ/BRA Water Application Update
The discovery part of the trial process is currently underway. Possible timelines for TCEQ commissioner consideration:
- December 8, 2014 Date assigned to end the discovery process before hearings
- February 16, 2015Hearings begin
- February 27, 2015 Hearing concludes.
- March 2015 Application returns to TCEQ commissioners for consideration
BRA Board met October 27, 2014
The following Possum Kingdom Lake agenda items were considered by the BRA Board.
During Opening Session public comments were heard. Four individuals spoke on behalf of Camp Grady Spruce encouraging the Board to approve Patterson’s Bid for the remaining PK property.
Agenda item number:
- Executive Session– After a lengthy executive session the Board acted on 3 Resolutions.
1B.1-The Board voted to reject the Patterson’s bid. It was the only bid submitted. Staff was directed to post a new request for bid in accordance with SB 918.
1B.2-Board voted to sell remaining undeveloped small strips of unleased land located between individual lots.
1B.3-The Board considered hiring a qualified real estate consulting firm to advise them on how to optimize the sale of the remaining land. This resolution failed. Vote was 9-9
- Regulations of BRA Lakes and Associated Lands– Mike McClendon reported that the goal is to incorporate with consistency all rules and regulation into one document. Rules will go into effect after they are published in local newspapers for a 2 week period. After Public comments, 3 rules were adjusted.
- Allow covering of 2nd story on docks with sun decks, many are grandfathered and it will reduce skin cancer.
- Increase mooring limit from 1 day to at least 2 days to account for weekend use.
- Water Recreation Fees are only collected at PK Lake.These fees will be eliminated after September 1, 2015.
PK Lake deadline remains January 1, 2015 for docks to have encapsulated foam. Other BRA lakes will have a 4”floatation rule. Docks on other BRA lakes with non-encapsulated foam must float out of the water 4”above water level to be in compliance.
- Determination of Interruptible Water Available for 2015-Brad Brunett presentation included history of sales and new calculations with a new waiting list for water. Total amount of water available is 112,552 acre feet. The Board voted to sell 43,569 acre feet for 2015 which is that amount currently under contract. The following criteria will be used to trigger the sale of the remaining 68,983 acre feet for 2015:
- The Board can sell the remaining water if totals in storage in the 11 reservoirs rise above Stage 1 Drought Watch level.PK, Lake Granbury and Whitney would all need to have lake level above Stage 1 Drought levels prior to December 31, 2015 for a sale to occur.
- The Board can sell the remaining water if the main reservoir below the confluence of the Little River (Below Belton) has a combined BRA storage capacity above Stage 1 Drought level of 561,290 acre feet prior to December 31, 2015.
- Allen Creek Reservoir Report-David Collinsworth reported that BRA (30%) and City of Houston (70%) are working to move forward on building this Reservoir. BRA staff assured the Board that all efforts are being made to push this project.
- Live-Stream Board Meeting– Matt Phillips reports that BRA should have the ability to provide a live stream of the Board meeting on their web-site by their January 26, 2015. This effort is being made so anyone interested can watch the meeting online.
Abilene Water Sell- At this writing, there is no BRA/Abilene signed contract for 4,500 acre feet of PK water. The water under consideration is for Firm water so there are no deadlines. Any contract will hopefully include conservation restrictions for basic water needs.
BRA Water Master Stakeholder Meeting-December 9th, 7pm-Mineral Wells Activity Center, 735 Hood Road, Mineral Wells